I was reading an interesting article about NEW superfoods on Health.com–I thought I’d share them!
- Contains about 70 milligrams of Vitamin C–just 5 milligrams short of women’s daily recommendation.
- Has 20% more potassium than a banana
- One of the few fruits containing Vitamin E
- Research shows that shrooms have tons of phytochemicals that may help prevent cancer
- Might also be associated with reduced inflamation and a stronger immune system
- Main berry source of ellagitannins, a type of antioxidant that may have anticancer effects
- Good source of vitamin K
- Just 1 cup of rasberries has 8 grams of friber
- One serving, about 14 shelled walnut halves, provides 2.5 grams of omega-3s—that helps prevent heart disease but may boost brain function, memory, and mood
- Have the highest amount of phytochemicals found in most beans that are believed to protect against cancer and heart disease
- 3X the antioxidants found in black beans
- Good source of iron and folate
- Rich in lutein, a carotenoid that helps protect against age-related macular degeneration
- Brain food, helpful in fighting Alzheimer’s and improving mental function
- Rich in Omega-3s
- Great source of vitamin D
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Just 40 calories per serving
- Rich in lycopene–a pigment that mat reduce risk of heart disease, ovarian and cervical cancer
- “Like chocolate, they’re a good source of the amino acid tryptophan, which is a mood elevator—nature’s healthy Prozac.”
- An ounce serves up 150 milligrams of immune system– and bone-strengthening magnesium, about half of your daily requirement.